I had the idea for this post when I mentioned Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty line to a make-up artist and turned out she had not heard of it. It’s obviously completely OK to not be up to date with another celebrity brand about a week after it’s launched. Most normal people aren’t. But it made me realise that because I trawl the Internet for beauty, style and book news on a constant basis, I sometimes assume that everybody knows certain things when they in fact don’t. I also often feel slightly embarrassed to cover these topics, because it feels a bit… basic. Who needs another Fenty Beauty review?
Then again, there might be value in sharing some of this stuff with you. Hence the monthly memo that would gather bits and pieces that I find interesting or useful to know. It’s not meant to be comprehensive in any way and I haven’t fully worked out how I want to do this, so feel free to give me feedback and point me in the right direction.
1. Fenty Beauty. Rihanna’s make-up line is no longer that new, but as it inspired the whole memo thing, it deserves a spot. The holiday collection has also just come out and is all over Youtube, so that adds an element of novelty. I own the original lipgloss and the matchstick in Yacht Life. I really like the first and the second looks lovely, but needs a proper wear test. Rihanna’s selling point is inclusivity (40 foundation shades!) and I’m fully behind that.
2. Victoria Beckham x Estee Lauder. Another celebrity, another make-up line. This is the second round of VBxEL collaboration and it’s beautiful. It’s also needlessly expensive, so of course I want everything. I bought the Aura gloss and the lipstick in Burnished Rose (both very nice). Surprisingly, most of it is still available – except for the two things I really want – and the road to financial ruin open to everyone.
3. More of The Ordinary. I have to say The Ordinary is frustrating me with its constant stream of products. No-one can keep up with that. They’ve recently come out with a bunch of new stuff, including about a million retinoid products: you can find an overview in Victoria Health’s newsletter, together with some interesting newness from NIOD. I might be frustrated, but I’m still intrigued and will get a few things.
4. Glossier becoming very slightly less hard to get. Meanwhile, Glossier has started shipping to the UK. In case someone is happy to order more-or-less the entire line-up and ship it to Brussels, let me know. Asking for a friend.
5. Erdem x H&M. I haven’t been excited for a fashion collaboration for a long time, but this one made me giddy as soon as I heard about it. When I was fortunate to see the clothes a couple of weeks ago, my giddiness started to approached euphoria. It’s a beautiful collection and I’ll have photos for you in a day or two. In stores as of 2 November.
6. Gio_Graphy. I’m not big on style books, but I am curious about Giovanna Battaglia’s venture. I really like her style and while I don’t expect it to be a literary masterpiece, I do think it would be visually interesting.
7. Prize winners. After Ishiguro’s Nobel and Saunders’ Booker, I feel pressure to read The Remains of the Day and Lincon in the Bardo. Instead, I’m currently reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? in preparation for watching the new Blade Runner movie. Of the recent launches, the book I’m most anticipating to read is Ann Leckie’s follow-up to her magnificent Imperial Radch trilogy: Provenance.
8. Orange Blossom & Honey. If there is a cookbook named specifically with me in mind, this is it. I love North African food and own Paula Wolfert’s magisterial The Food of Morocco, but it’s often too much for everyday cooking. Orange Blossom & Honey seems very accessible and faster, exactly what I need considering my current schedule.
9. Gifts for queens. In case you’re already thinking of Christmas, look at this selection of Hermes games! I hope they’re all available in Europe as well.
10. Dior on show. If you happen to find yourself in Paris, the Christian Dior exhibition is still open. Not as good as the Alexander McQueen one, but nothing is.
Let me know what you’re currently excited about! And do you find this format useful?